Zion Rock Climbers - Mar 2009
There are many places within Zion where rock climbers can practice their sport, but one area in particular had climbers going up nearly every time we drove by. One day we decided to sit and watch this group go up. I cannot imagine doing anything so difficult and scary in the name of fun. These are some amazing athletes, crazy but brave and fascinating to watch as they inch their way up the side of a vertical plane.
This is the wall that beckoned the climbers. There are six climbers in this photo, but they are very hard to see because they are so tiny next to the massive wall.

A closer image where five of the climbers look like mere specks on the wall.

And yet closer -- where three climbers can be seen as human shapes.

And closer still -- two climbers and their gear can be seen.

One climber appears to be hanging on by the rope and little else.

The lead climber blazing a trail.

The middle man with tons of equipment hanging off of him.

At least this climber has a bit of a shelf to rest his feet.

This climber was using some kind of nylon "ladder" for his feet to climb up. Even with binoculars, I couldn't make out how it worked.

We watched these guys climb for over an hour and their progress was slow, but steady. I can't imagine the strength and endurance required for this sport. I was exhausted just watching.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home