Chris & Frank -- AKA "The Rainbow Chasers" -- are full-time RVers traveling about the country in their small, but cozy Lazy Daze motorhome.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Stillwater CG, Lake Granby, CO - Sep 2007

After the Labor Day crowds left, we headed to higher ground where we landed at Stillwater Campground in the Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest near Granby, Colorado. This photo is of the large and lovely Lake Granby - taken from the south shore. Stillwater Campground sits on a rise on the opposite shoreline.

Stillwater is a picturesque campground where the sites are terraced on a hillside and most sites have a view overlooking the lake. There are lakefront sites (with outstanding views, but little tree cover), higher up are lakeview sites (some trees and nice views) and also a few heavily forested sites (cozily tucked into the pines.) We opted for a site in the top row with some trees and some views. When we arrived on Monday (Labor Day), the sites were still about 80% occupied. By the next afternoon, most everyone was gone and the campsites (that are lined up on the right side of this road) were empty.

Many of the lakefront sites (all were non-hook-up) had commanding views of the entire lake basin. It was almost worth moving down there just for the views. However, Stillwater is one of a handful of national forest campgrounds in Colorado that have electric hook-ups in some sites, so we opted for the convenience of electricity and stayed in a hook-up site. We still had a wonderful view of the lake.

On our first evening, our neighbors came over and were talking about things to see and do in this area. They also had to point out a unique image in the mountains to the east -- it's the profile of Lincoln formed by a distant mountain range. Over the time that we stayed here, we watched Lincoln's profile change with the light. Sometimes it's easier to see than others. Can you see his image in this photo?

One morning I awoke to an intense red, cloud-filled sunrise. I jumped out of bed, threw on a jacket and ran out to try and capture it before it disappeared. As I darted through the campground, trying to get to a clearing, I spotted this rainbow on the opposite side of the lake from the sunrise and thought it was much prettier, so had to capture it as best I could.

By the time the rainbow began fading, I turned back to head home and was surprised that the sunrise was still colorful. As I headed back to camp, I saw this calm and colorful scene and had to try and get a good shot of it.

Back at camp and the Rainbow Chasers score another one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home